Week 9


Big O Proofs are here. The lecture focused more clearly on the detailed proof of Big O. A couple of complexities were added to make it a thorough proof. The disproving seemed to be more challenging as always. The choice of  'n' seemed to a little strange at first glance due to usage of slice, but it did made sense by the end of the explanation.

Basically, we need to choose 'c' and 'B' intelligently and follow a predefined procedure to prove it. For sure, it has confused me, but I guess, if I'll spend some time on it, it won't be that tough to grasp the concept properly. It was interesting to use it on non-polynomial functions wherein we needed to use our Calculus skills to solve the function. Afterwards, we had to shift it to a Big O form.

Not to forget, I had my second midterm. It seemed to a challenging with the time constraint imposed, but I guess I did well on it. Let's hope for the best!

1 comment:

  1. First off I love the format of your slog, digging the matrix theme. I agree that there were parts of the Big O proof that were sort of tedious, but I found them, at least for the polynomials, relatively easy. That may be just me though. Also for the disproof, what trouble are you having? Negating the statement or actually proving the negation? I will say that proving the negation is a bit awkward because we're not used to picking n, but it gets easier with practice. Anyways, I really like your slog once again, and best of luck on your final exam :)

    ReplyDelete